At an altitude of 540 m we find the remains of a Roman quarry of monolithic columns. Ten gigantic columns, (12m long and 1,5m diameter) quarried straight out of the rock still lie intact. They would have been transported by boat to ancient Athens, Rome, Constantinople or other destinations.
CASTLE OF KARYSTOS
The Red Castle, or Castello Rosso, is situated on a hill top above the village of Myloi. It is the most important medieval monument of Evia and one of the more important in all of Greece. Is size and position allow it to dominate the entire region. Its location is near sweet water springs, which were vital for the survival of any castle is case of siege. This impregnable fortress was built in 1030 A.D. by Lombards, after the conquest of the island by the Franks. Inside the castle the second ramparts still stand. Further in there is a chapel of Prophet Elias and underneath it the sweet water cistern which was used in times of siege is still preserved.
At the top of Mount Ochi, at an altitude of 1,398 m., looms the famous Dragon House of Mount Ochi. Its dimensions are 12 by 7 m and it is the best preserved Dragon House of Evia. The roof is composed of a megalith of many tons which doesn’t seem to be supported from the inside. The entrance also has three megaliths: two posts and one lintel. It is estimated to be of the 7th century B.C and was used as a temple of place of worship of ancient deities. There are 23 Dragon Houses in the Karystos area and all are of megalithic construction in square or rectangular sectional plan. The locals named the, “Dragon Houses” because of their size and situation which would suit dragons rather than humans as all of them are placed on steep slopes overlooking the surrounding area.